The Alcohol Awareness Week in Germany is held from 18th to 26th May 2019. Since 2007, it is carried out every two years. The campaign is aimed for encouraging everybody who drinks alcohol – about 90 percent of the German adult population – to reflect on their drinking habits and to raise the awareness of the risks of alcohol consumption. The central message is according to the WHO: “Alcohol? Less is better!”. On local level, events are organized. Thousands of professional employees of the addiction aid, volunteers of the self-help or occupational health experts give new impulses for discussions, information and awareness raising in several different settings, like pedestrian zones, hospitals, workplaces, doctor´s office, pharmacies, churches to name a few. It is the aim to raise awareness in personal contact with the population.
The German Centre for Addiction Issues (DHS) (an umbrella organization and a common platform for all German charitable associations in the field of addiction counseling, treatment and self-help) supports the local organizers and provides the website, several brochures, posters and other materials for their events (www.aktionswoche-alkohol.de). Professionals and volunteers are free in shaping their own actions. In 2017, about 1.230 activities all over Germany were organized. It is expected to exceed this number of events.
On the website we present examples of what people could do, and give information about alcohol. Another platform for the organizers to keep in touch and get new information about the awareness week and other news about alcohol is over the social network Facebook.
Partners and financial supporters are the health insurance company BARMER, the German statutory pensions insurance scheme and DHS member organizations and many networks at regional level.
Marlene Mortler, member of the Bundestag (MdB) and Drug Commissioner of the Federal Government, is patron of the Alcohol Awareness Week.
The Alcohol Awareness Week is…
…an alcohol prevention campaign in Germany that takes place every 2 years and is organized by the German Centre for Addiction Issues (DHS).
The special thing about the alcohol awareness week is…
…the personal contact in everyday life and at the workplace. For nine days, thousands of dedicated people organize many events to reach the population at different places. In 2017, over 1.230 events took place.
…to raise the awareness among the general population for the risks of alcohol consumption according to the WHO-slogan “Alcohol? Less is better!”. For the upcoming Awarness Week we have chosen a new main focus: "No alcohol at the workspace!"
• The events are planned, advertised and undertaken on local level by the organizers.
• The DHS provides materials for events free of charge.
• Only condition for organizers of events is to register on www.aktionswoche-alkohol.de.
• They can choose between 9 series of events
• “Self-help and addiction aid – We go out!“
• “Alcohol prevention at the workplace”
• “Alcohol prevention on community level”
• “Churches participate actively”
• “Doctor´s office, hospitals and pharmacies”
• “Alcohol prevention in (sports) clubs”
• “Alcohol prevention at Universities for students and staff”
• “Free choice”
• “No alcohol in traffic”
• Member organizations of the DHS
• Health Insurance BARMER
• German statutory pensions insurance scheme (DRV-Bund)
• Patronage of the Drug Commissioner of the Federal Government
• Since 2011: Switzerland and Liechtenstein
• For the first time in 2017 : Austria and Luxembourg
• Z-Cards, an information sheet, foldable to the size of a credit card. Content is a self-test.
• Various brochures, flyer and factsheets
• Poster (to announce the events)
• Give-Aways (sticky notes, placemats, buttons)
If you have further questions according to the German Alcohol Awareness Week don´t hesitate to contact info[a]dhs.de.